Capitol works on deal to improve North bus terminal
THE Cebu Provincial Government is pushing for the renewal of its usufruct agreement with SM Prime Holdings to allow the long-delayed construction of permanent passenger facilities, including a tourist lounge and improved terminal structures at the Cebu North Bus Terminal (CNBT).
CNBT and Cebu South Bus Terminal (CSBT) Administrator Ahmed Cuizon said the absence of a renewed agreement has stalled major infrastructure development inside the terminal, which remains under restrictions tied to the previous administration’s contract.
The original usufruct agreement was entered into during the past provincial leadership and was co-terminus with the term of the former governor, requiring renewal under the current administration of Governor Pamela Baricuatro before new projects can proceed.
Negotiations are now being handled by the Provincial Economic Enterprise Council led by Paulo Uy, with final approval still subject by the governor and the Provincial Board.
Cuizon stressed that the process is routine between government and private entities and does not indicate any conflict between parties.
“There’s no problem really. It’s an ongoing process between two entities and it’s a normal procedure every time there is an agreement that the Province of Cebu wants to enter with the private sector,” Cuizon said.
The planned improvements are aligned with efforts to improve passenger experience, especially for travelers heading to northern Cebu destinations such as Bantayan Island and Malapascua Island.
CNBT currently accommodates around 2,000 passengers on weekdays and up to 4,000 on weekends, significantly lower than the Cebu South Bus Terminal, which handles about 7,000 on weekdays and 11,000 on weekends.
Unlike the south terminal, CNBT remains an open-air facility, exposing passengers to heat and limited comfort while waiting for buses.
Cuizon said permanent infrastructure cannot be constructed without a renewed agreement covering the property.
“As of now without the usufruct, we cannot build anything in the property,” he said.
Among the planned upgrades is the establishment of a tourist lounge in coordination with the Provincial Tourism Office, designed to provide a more comfortable waiting area for visitors.
The provincial government is also addressing the lack of permanent restroom facilities by renting portable toilets as a temporary measure in line with Governor Baracuatro’s push for accessible public restrooms.
“Ang gusto gyud ni Gov naa gyuy i-build nga structure mas comfortable,” Cuizon said.
The province reportedly spends about P5,000 daily for two rented portalets serving male and female passengers.
Aside from passenger amenities, CNBT is also experiencing recurring electrical issues, including low voltage incidents that sometimes require the use of generators, adding to operational costs while infrastructure plans remain pending.
In 2020, the CNBT was relocated to its current arrangement at SM City Cebu under a transition set by the provincial government during the term of then Governor Gwendolyn Garcia.
Starting October 2020, the Province of Cebu began operating CNBT at its new home at SM City Cebu, following an announcement made by Governor Gwen Garcia in September of the same year.
Based on Capitol information, then Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes had earlier expressed disinterest in renewing the terminal contract in January 2020 due to plans to develop a government center in Subangdaku, which included police and fire stations.
The relocation was prompted by the fact that most CNBT passengers were from the province, leading Capitol to operate the northern bus services in partnership with SM Prime Holdings, with support from Senior Vice President Maria Eloisa “Marissa” Fernan.
The CNBT soft opening was set on October 12, 2020, with full operations beginning October 15, 2020.
A temporary canopy and parking bay were prepared in a nearby private property space to accommodate initial operations, while the new terminal was designed to handle around 90 buses and up to 300 trips daily.
At the time, estimated passenger volume was around 2,500 daily under eased quarantine conditions, with strict health protocols implemented due to the Covid-19 pandemic.(MyTVCebu