Jan 2, 2026 • 11:15 AM (GMT+8)

BREAKING NEWS

Cebu officials head to Japan

Cebu officials head to Japan  - article image
Local

TOP Cebu officials are heading to Japan next week to explore partnerships in trade, healthcare, disaster preparedness, and waste management, with a focus on sustainable solutions for the province’s mounting solid waste concerns.

Leading the delegation are Governor Pamela Baricuatro and Cebu City Mayor Nestor Archival, who will study Japan’s waste-to-energy (WTE) facilities to identify cost-effective technologies and systems that can be adapted to Cebu’s long-term waste management plans.

“It is going to be a trade mission and also about health and disaster. This is organized diay by the Cebu Chamber of Commerce with Tokyo Chamber and a plenty of businessmen that will join this trade mission,” Baricuatro said.

Baricuatro added that Mayor Archival will join the mission, though his participation will be limited to one day due to the city’s upcoming Charter Day celebrations.

She emphasized that Japan, as a pioneer in WTE technology, offers valuable lessons for Cebu.

“This is something that should have been done years ago,” she said. Baricuatro also noted ongoing talks with the Green Transformation initiative and referenced prior exchanges with Chinese partners who have demonstrated WTE facilities.

The mission follows recent meetings with Japanese officials and private companies.

On Feb. 16, a delegation from Yokohama City presented “proven, safe, and reliable waste management solutions” to Baricuatro and Archival.

Presenters included Toru Hashimoto, president of Y-Bridge and consultant to the Yokohama government, and Hiroyuki Fujisaki, general manager of JFE Engineering, alongside Evelyn Castro of the Department of Economy, Planning, and Development in Central Visayas.

The presentation showcased Yokohama’s comprehensive waste management system, which reportedly reduced landfill waste by 43.2 percent.

Discussions included establishing a WTE facility in Cebu, a technology that converts waste into usable energy while easing pressure on overflowing landfills.

The proposal also highlighted Japan’s disciplined waste segregation practices, advanced treatment technologies, and integrated planning systems.

Baricuatro reiterated Cebu’s openness to partnerships, noting that public-private collaborations remain among the options being considered for WTE implementation.

“Cebu is prepared to partner with capable solution providers following due evaluation and compliance with proper procedures,” she said.

The upcoming Japan mission also follows Baricuatro’s previous trip to Fujian Province in China, which she cut short to personally oversee disaster preparedness efforts in Cebu ahead of Typhoon Basyang.

During that mission, the delegation visited a WTE facility and met with Fujian Medical University to strengthen healthcare and education cooperation, as well as with provincial officials to discuss trade, flights, and sister-province relations.

The Japan visit, Baricuatro said, will continue Cebu’s efforts to secure sustainable solutions in waste management while exploring opportunities for trade, healthcare, and disaster preparedness in collaboration with international partners.

Earlier this year, the Cebu Provincial Government had already made initial plans for WTE facility as the province struggled to address mounting garbage problems following the deadly landfill collapse in Barangay Binaliw, Cebu City.

Baricuatro said the provincial government has begun discussions with potential project proponents to accelerate the development of the facility.

She added that construction is targeted to start within the year, with operations expected by 2027.

Provincial officials estimate that around 600 tons of garbage from Cebu City are sent daily to landfills across the province.

A WTE facility, which converts solid waste into electricity, heat, or fuel, is being considered as a sustainable solution to reduce landfill dependence and support energy needs, though environmental concerns and costs remain under review.

No final site has been decided, despite earlier consideration of Naga City.(MyTVCebu)

Share to:
Newsletter