Jan 2, 2026 • 11:15 AM (GMT+8)

BREAKING NEWS

‘Halad sa Pagtuo 2026’ highlights religious traddions, cultural heritage

‘Halad sa Pagtuo 2026’ highlights religious traddions, cultural heritage  - article image
Local

THERE will be no crowning of winners when Cebu’s festivals take the stage Halad sa Pagtuo 2026 on August 29, at the Cebu City Sports Center (CCSC).

The event will focus on the province’s religious traditions and cultural heritage, beginning with a procession of patron saints followed by a Holy Mass and presentations of seven local festivals.

The event will begin between 2:30 and 3 p.m., with 51 carrozas carrying the patron saints of participating localities.

Provincial tourism head Rowena Montecillo said Halad sa Pagtuo follows the concept of last year’s Pasundayag sa Pagtuo and Pasidungog, which showcased Cebu’s fiesta traditions and devotion to local patron saints.

“The idea behind it is to bring the town fiestas into the city, so people can experience the main highlights of a fiesta—especially the procession and the Mass,” Montecillo said.

The provincial government renamed the celebration

“Halad sa Pagtuo” at the request of Gov. Pamela Baricuatro to give greater emphasis to Cebu’s religious and cultural heritage.

Fifty local government units, including Cebu’s three highly urbanized cities, are expected to join the procession.

Alcantara, Daanbantayan and Cordova will not participate because their local fiesta schedules conflict with the provincial celebration.

The seven festivals that will be presented are Sinulog sa Carmen, Tuba Festival of Borbon, Bisnok Festival of Dumanjug, La Torta Festival of Argao, Hinulawan Festival of Toledo, Dagitab Festival of Naga City and Kabkaban Festival of Carcar City.

“There is no contest. It is just going to be a plain presentation of their festivals,” Montecillo said.

The procession will assemble at ITAX behind the Cebu Provincial Capitol Executive Building, pass through the Capitol grounds and proceed along Osmeña Boulevard toward the CCSC.

Organizers said the procession will use only one lane, so no full road closure is planned.

A Holy Mass will follow the procession, while the carrozas will be lined up at the CCSC for blessing. Parish priests from participating communities have been invited to join their devotees and contingents, concelebrate the Mass and bless their respective carrozas.

Organizers expect about 10,000 spectators to attend the

free celebration.

Public access will be on a first-come, first-served basis.

Organizers will announce when the entrances will open and provide details on how spectators can enter.

At the CCSC, the entrance on the St. Vincent Hospital side will be used by the carrozas.

The entrance between City Central and Abellana School will accommodate the general public, while the entrance beside Kalubihan Barangay Hall, in front of ACT, will be reserved for officials and invited VIP guests.

About 200 personnel from the Cebu City and Cebu provincial police forces are expected to provide security.

Halad sa Pagtuo will also serve as the closing ceremony of Cebu’s 457th founding anniversary.(MyTVCebu)

Share to:
Newsletter