Naga City open to NBI-7 active-shooter preparedness training
THE city government of Naga is open to bringing active-shooter preparedness training to its public schools as the National Bureau of Investigation in Central Visayas (NBI-7) continues to offer free lectures to help schools prepare for armed attacks.
Naga City Mayor Valdemar “Val” Chiong said Wednesday, Aug. 19, he is willing to consider introducing active-shooter drills or simulations in public schools, similar to earthquake preparedness exercises.
“I’m open to that,” Chiong told reporters in an interview.
Chiong said police officers regularly patrol schools, while the city government also deploys watchmen in every school. However, Naga’s public schools currently do not have metal detectors.
Naga has 28 barangays, 22 of which have high schools, which Chiong said could be a consideration in coordinating and implementing a citywide preparedness program.
The mayor also noted that schools have counselors who assist students dealing with bullying and traumatic experiences. He said parents should likewise take primary responsibility for monitoring their children, including their activities online.
The city’s openness comes as NBI-7 pushes schools to strengthen preparedness for possible active-shooter incidents.
NBI-7 agent Maria Contessa Lastimoso said the bureau has been conducting its Active Shooter Preparedness and Prevention Seminar every two weeks and is offering the sessions to schools for free.
However, she said private schools have so far been more responsive, with no public school yet taking up the offer.
“Despite the free lectures that NBI offered, no takers among the public schools. Only the private schools,” Lastimoso told Cebu media on Tuesday, Aug. 18.
The seminars include both school personnel and students. St. Theresa’s College had teachers and students attend, while Bethany Christian School also participated. The University of Cebu sent security personnel, while the Redemptorist Seminary was scheduled to attend a session this week.
Lastimoso said NBI-7 had also sent invitations to Abellana National School, Lahug Elementary School, Zapatera Elementary School and Guadalupe Elementary School for school information drives, but the schools had yet to respond.
Last month, the Department of Education-Central Visayas (DepEd-7) said it is coordinating with the Philippine National Police (PNP) on formal procedures for active-shooter drills in public schools.
DepEd-7 Legal Officer IV Atty. Leslie Joie Babatuan earlier said at a forum that the regional office is finalizing a memorandum of agreement with the PNP to clarify how schools should respond to active threats.
An active-shooter drill has already been conducted at a Cebu City school with the participation of the PNP, its Special Weapons and Tactics unit, the Bureau of Fire Protection and other agencies.
Babatuan stressed that preparedness should not compromise schools’ role as peaceful learning environments.
DepEd is seeking to strengthen prevention and emergency response while avoiding an excessive police or military presence on campuses.
The department also has existing policies governing police presence and firearms in schools that will guide the development of the protocols.(MyTVCebu)